Does Wifaqul Ulama have a system to verify local Moon Sighting?
(Qari) Muhammad Shoyaib Nurgat
Question: Since Wifaqul Ulama places great emphasis on local (British) Moon Sighting, what is the system and mechanism in place to verify it?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh
We would like to begin by extending our gratitude to you for asking this question. May Allah (SWT) give you the best of rewards (Ameen).
In a nutshell, this issue was discussed and redeliberated in great detail at the house of (Mufti) Yusuf Sacha (DB) on Saturday the 11th of March 2017. Shaykh (DB) explained that Shahadah (testimony) and Khabar (news) are two distinct entities in Islamic law and must be treated as such. There are rules and regulations pertaining to accepting Shahadah (testimony). The Shahadah (testimony) must be accepted in person by a designated person (appointed by a Moon Sighting Committee) and they must forward the accepted Shahadah (testimony) to the Moon Sighting Committee to deliberate and make a final decision. We understand that this list doesn’t cover the entire country (yet) but we hope to provide coverage throughout the country, Insha’Allah. In the meantime Muslims should contact their nearest Wifaqul Ulama representative for the time being. The issue of accepting Shahadah (testimony) through skype or video conferencing is still under deliberation and it is not an acceptable method at this time.
Wish to Help?
If you wish to volunteer yourself and have your name added to this list, send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Monthly Moon Sighting Data:
Monthly data for (each) Islamic Month is widely circulated by Wifaqul Ulama in 3 languages and made available to all those authorised to receive the Shahadah (testimony). It is generally made available before the 25th of (each) Islamic Month for public use.
The link for “Current Month” is deliberately kept the same each month so Users can save and visit the same link every month.
Historical Moon Sighting Data:
Historical Moon Sighting data is available via our site for the past 5 1/2 years. The (Islamic) years covered so far are:
Authorised to receive Shahadah (testimony):
All of the personalities mentioned below are authorised to receive the Shahadah (testimony) and forward it. They are not authorised to make a decision. Wifaqul Ulama Moon Sighting committee will consider, scrutinise and deliberate on the (received) Shahadah (testimony) and make a final decision.
- (Qari) Muhammad Shoyaib Nurgat (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Shaykh) Mumtaz ul Haq
- Hafiz Ibrahim Kapodrawi (Plashet Griove)
- (Maulana) Mohammed Thawa (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Maulana) Muhammad Patel (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Maulana) Salim Makda (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Maulana) Idris Patel (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Qari) Saeed Ravat (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Mufti) Umar Farooq Desai (Madina Masjid, Clapton)
- (Maulana) Muhammad Morea (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Maulana) Zaid Mehtar (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Maulana) Ibrahim Soorti (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Mufti) Arif Ravat (Stamford Hill)
- (Maulana) Mohammad Arshad Qasmi (Mitcham Islamic Centre)
- (Mufti) Yusuf Danke (Croydon Mosque & Islamic Centre, Croydon)
- (Mufti) Sajid Patel (Seven Kings Muslim Educational Trust, Essex)
- (Shaykh) Suliman Gani
- (Maulana) Sohail Bawa (Islamic Dawah Council, Khatme Nubuwwat Academy, Newham)
- (Maulana) Muhammad Saeed Mulla (Masjid-e-Umar, Walthamstow)
- (Maulana) Inaam-ul-Haq Malik (Croydon Mosque & Islamic Centre, Croydon)
- (Maulana) Muzzammil Kara (Balham Mosque and Tooting Islamic Centre)
- (Maulana) Abdul-Kader Suleman
- (Maulana) Abdool Samed (Norbury Islamic Academy)
- (Maulana) Amin Sadak (Chingford Mosque, Chingford)
- (Maulana) Sulaiman Wadi (Greenbank Mosque, Bristol)
- (Shaykhul-Hadeeth) Mohammad Ayub Bande Ilahi (Majlis e Dawatul Haq, Leicester)
- (Qadhi) Imran Sayed Falahi (Majlis e Dawatul Haq, Leicester)
- (Maulana) Ibarheem Patel (Majlis e Dawatul Haq, Leicester)
- (Mufti) Bilaal Issak (Majlis e Dawatul Haq, Leicester)
- (Hafiz) Musa Patel (Majlis e Dawatul Haq, Leicester)
- (Mufti) Mohamed Shabbir Saiyed
- (Maulana) Iftikhar Hussain (Anjuman Naqibul Islam, Saltley)
- (Maulana) Tahir Suleiman Patel (Anjuman Naqibul Islam, Saltley)
- (Qari) Ismael Surati (Jamia Masjid Al-Aqsa, Waterloo Road)
- (Maulana) Ata Muhammad (UKIM Madina Masjid & Community Centre)
- (Hafiz) Mehmood Ahmed (UKIM Madina Masjid & Community Centre)
- (Shaykh) Maulana Muhammad Hasan Bodhanvi (Masjid Al-Faruq)
- (Maulana) Abdul Awwal Molvi (Masjid Al-Faruq)
- (Hafiz) Sajid Molvi (Masjid Al-Faruq)
- (Maulana) Muhammad Raza
- (Allamah) Khalid Mahmood (Islamic Academy of Manchester, Longsight)
- (Shaykh) Samiruddin Qasmi
- (Mufti) Faizur Rahman (Islamic Academy of Manchester, Longsight)
- Hafiz Mazhar Hussain (Islamic Academy of Manchester, Longsight)
- Hafiz Safdar Hussain (Islamic Academy of Manchester, Longsight)
- (Mufti) Javid Pathan
- (Maulana) Mohammed Farook Kazi
- (Maulana) Habibullah Munshi
- (Maulana) Arif Polli
- (Maulana) Imtiaz Kamal
- (Qari) Mushtaq Ahmad
- (Qari) Anas Ahmad
- (Maulana) Hasan Sarodi
- (Maulana) Hanif Dudhwala
- (Maulana) Rafiq Sufi (Patel)
- (Maulana) Hashim Limbada
- (Mufti) Zaid Mohammed
- (Hafiz) Abdul Malik
- (Mufti) Mohammed Ashfaq (JKN)
- (Mufti) Amjad Mohammed (The Olive Foundation)
- (Maulana) Fazal Dad (Masjid Abu Bakr)
- (Maulana) Abdurrahim Meer (Madrasah Madania Tahfeezul Quran)
- (Mufti) Yusuf Sacha (Dawatal Islam Mosque)
- (Mufti) Zakariyya Akudi (Madina Masjid, MPIT)
- (Maulana) Marghoob Ahmed (Cabin Mosque)
- (Mufti) Amin Pandor (Masjid e Mahmoodiya)
- (Maulana) Hashim Sacha (Dawatal Islam Mosque)
- Maulana Ahmed Sarkar
- (Mufti) Zubair Dudha (ITA)
- (Maulana) Bilal Banda (York Muslim Association)
- (Mufti) Abidur-Rahman Molvi (Lanarkshire Central Mosque)
- Mufti Shahbaz Ahmed (Edinburgh Blackhall Mosque)
Shahadah (testimony) Form:
Any of the above who receives a Shahadah (testimony) will be required to complete this form and submit it to Wifaqul Ulama. The form can be submitted using any method including taking a picture on your phone and sending an image since the Moon Sighting Committee needs to be informed as quickly as possible.
If a decision is made based on the received Shahadah (testimony) the form will be publicly displayed on our site; otherwise a general statement will be issued.
Shahadah (testimony) Transmission Procedure:
GUIDANCE BEING PREPARED IN ENGLISH AND URDU, WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE
Moon Sighting Committee:
Those who accept Shahadah (testimony) are to forward the information to the Wifaqul Ulama Moon Sighting Committee which meets after sunset monthly on the 29th of (each) Islamic Month. The committee will make the final decision.
Currently, there are two separate committees in United Kingdom who deliberate Moon Sighting (monthly). Wifaqul Ulama which operates and announces decision on a National level and Batley Moon Sighting Committee which operates and announces decision on a regional level. There is no conflict and it is the way both have evolved (naturally). The additional difference is that Wifaqul Ulama is a National body and tends to operate and advertise its decisions on a National level.
Additional Scholars may be invited and may attend from time to time but the core members who attend (monthly) meetings are as follows. It is not necessary for all Scholars to present in each meeting.
Both committees then consult each other before a decision is announced.
- Shaykhul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Mohammad Ayub Bande Ilahi (DB)
- (Qari) Muhammad Shoyaib Nurgat
- (Qadhi) Imran Sayed Falahi
- (Mufti) Yusuf Danka
- (Mufti) Zubair Dudha
- (Mufti) Amjad Mohammed
- (Shaykh) Suliman Gani
- (Mufti) Yusuf Sacha
- (Mufti) Zakariyya Akudi
- (Mufti) Amin Pandor
- (Maulana) Yusuf Mama
- (Maulana) Hashim Rawat
- (Qari) Haneef
- (Maulana) Nausarka
- (Maulana) Shabbir Seedat
- (Maulana) Marghoob Ahmed
- (Maulana) Haseeb
- (Maulana) Hashim Sacha
- (Maulana) Abdul-Hai Seedat
- (Maulana) Musa Gora
- (Maulana) Wasif Sacha
- (Maulana) Ifran Soni
- (Maulana) Yusuf Baig
- (Maulana) Mushtaq Balakadhi
- (Maulana) Afzal Wali Mulla
- (Maulana) Bilal Mayat
- (Maulana) Sulaiman Makda
- (Maulana) Tariq Mahmood
- (Maulana) Musa Gora
- (Maulana) Habeel
Moon Sighting Decision Process (Flowchart):
FLOWCAHRT BEING PREPARED WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE
Moon Sighting Announcements:
The final decision is announced using the following means:
- Wifaqul Ulama (website)
- Batley Moon Sighting Committee (BMSC) have their own local procedures for Monthly announcements
- Text Messages and WhatsApp: This method relies on other Muslims forwarding messages to each other.
Eight Principles: Fiqh of Moon Sighting for United Kingdom for 12 Months
These principles were drafted by Batley Moon Sighting Committee (BMSC) and circulated to may Darul-Iftaas around the world and approved.
جزاك اللهُ خيرًا